|U.S. Markets for Infection Control & Biosafety Products|
May 2010 - 350 Pages - 74 Exhibits - 12 Company Profiles
Infectious diseases, particularly those acquired in the hospital (nosocomial infections), were among the top 10 causes of death in the U.S. in 2008, as they have been for the past several decades. Bacteria, parasites, and viruses are among the organisms that cause infectious diseases, many of which have only recently been identified.
In 2009, U.S. sales of infection control and biosafety products totaled approximately $10.2 billion, with injection devices and related products accounting for an estimated 37% of sales, wound closure devices accounting for 25% of sales, sterilization products accounting for 14% of sales, healthcare-related skin cleansers accounting for 13% of sales, and medical waste disposal supplies accounting for the remaining 11% of sales. Over the forecast period covered by this report, sales of infection control and biosafety products are expected to increase at a compound annual rate of 5.9%, reaching approximately $12.9 billion in the year 2013.
This report analyzes major market segments for infection control and biosafety products, noted below. Major topics covered by this report include an overview of infectious organisms and diseases; infectious disease demographics; detailed discussions of the products, markets, and companies associated with infection control and biosafety; a discussion of the clinical applications of infection control; and profiles of the leading companies competing in the U.S. infection control and biosafety products market.
1. Overview: Bacterial Infections, Parasitic Infections, Proteinacious Infections, Viral Infections, and Diagnosis
2. Infectious Disease Demographics and National Guidelines for Control: Types of Acquired Infections, Impact of Managed Care, and Drug Resistance
3. Nosocomial Infections and Prevention Strategies: Prevention Techniques, Medical Waste Disposal, Ventilation Systems Management, and Market Analysis
4. Injection Devices and Related Products:Skin Puncture Devices, Non-Skin Puncture Devices, Sharps Disposal Products, and Market Analysis
5. Handwashes, Perioperative Skin Preparations, and Germicides:Handwashes and Surgical Scrubs, Disinfectants and Germicides, and Market Analysis
6. Sterilization Equipment, Services, and Supplies:Sterilization Equipment, Sterilization Services, Sterilization Supplies, and Market Analysis
7. Wound Closure Products:Staples, Sutures, Wound Closure Strips, Automated Suturing Devices, Energy-Based Wound Closure Products, Surgical Sealants and Glues, and Market Analysis
8. Combined Market Analysis
Exhibit 1:Medical Waste Disposal and Portable Air Filtration Products, Market Forecast, 2008-2013
Exhibit 2:Injection Devices and Related Products, Market Forecast, 2008-2013
Exhibit 3:Handwashes, Perioperative Skin Preparations, and Germicides, Market Forecast, 2008-2013
Exhibit 4: Sterilization Equipment, Services, and Supplies, Market Forecast, 2008-2013
Exhibit 5:Traditional and Emerging Wound Closure Devices, Market Forecast, 2008-2013
Exhibit 6:Infection Control and Biosafety Products, Combined Market Forecast, 2008-2013
74 Total Exhibits
COMPANY PROFILES: 3M Health Care/3M Co.; C.R. Bard, Inc.; Baxter Healthcare Corp./Baxter Intl., Inc.; B. Braun Melsungen AG; Becton, Dickinson & Co.; Covidien PLC; Getinge USA, Inc./Getinge Group AB; Johnson & Johnson; Olympus America, Inc./ Olympus Corp.; Purdue Pharma LP; Smiths Medical/Smiths Group PLC; and STERIS Corp.